A Review of 2019
Happy New Year and welcome to the first episode of 2020!
I thought it would be a good idea to start this year by looking back on what was a fantastic 2019 for LinkedInformed.
In this episode, I will reveal the top ten episodes of last year as well as reminding you of what we covered in the top five of those.
I also have a post of the year for 2019 and an overview of the challenges that lay ahead for LinkedIn.
How LinkedIn Changed in 2019
Here are the new features that appeared during the year;
- The ability to ignore invitations from a profile (more menu)
- Interest targeting for ads
- Live video
- Text-only posts preview extended to 5 lines
- Video messages in mobile
- Image tagging (@mentioning)
- Preview panel of 1st result in search (desktop)
- Double-tap of commenters profile picture to send a message (this was discontinued in a matter of weeks)
- Profile redesign
- Company pages
- See their last 6 months ads
- Option to follow the company of an accepted invitation to connect
- Invitation to follow your company
- Mobile profile pics and headlines match desktop position
- About section got its own edit function
- Invitation filtering
- New logo for LinkedIn – although they often fail to use it!
- Feed algorithm changes announced (episode 253)
- Company pages follow #
- Company page admins get to comments as a company
- Showcase services feature added for freelancers.
- Find Nearby feature in mobile redesigned resulting in unreliability.
- Alt-text added to image posts
- Skill assessments
- ‘Find an expert’ option added for mobile posts but not desktop plus filters for the showcase services feature in search
- Group posts appearing in the main feed
- More new company page features
- Employee notifications
- Kudos and team moments
- Completion meter
- Save posts to read later
- Full introduction of LinkedIn Events
- Add people to a message via @mention
- About section increases by 600 characters
- Easier customisation of mobile invitations.
- Several new group manager functions added.
So there you have it. Plenty of changes but very few of these have had much impact. LinkedIn Live was probably the biggest one but my favourite was the save for later feature on posts.
The Top Ten Episodes of 2019
- Increase Your Visibility With Effective Posting
- The Types of Posts That Engage
- How To Go Viral On LinkedIn
- A New Way To DM – Game Changer?
- LinkedIn Company Pages…There is hope!
- Engaging Your Followers
- LinkedIn Video Tips
- Likes vs Comments
- Should You Be Paying For LinkedIn?
- Neuroscience & LinkedIn
This post is the true definition of viral with over 22 million views!
So that was 2019.
For me, the biggest issue of last year was fake accounts and the increased use of automation bots. This will continue to be an issue this year unless LinkedIn make it impossible to say you work for a company without having that businesses email domain or being approved by a company page admin.
Pretending to work for a recognised and credible brand will always make it easier for fake profiles to succeed.
In addition, we all need to fight against bots by reporting any suspected messages or invitations we receive that look they might have been automated. Automation will ruin LinkedIn and we all need to play our part in protecting this wonderful resource that we currently enjoy.
That’s all for this week.