How To Master PR with Janet Murray
Welcome to episode 181, this weeks episode is focused on an interview with Janet Murray from Soulful PR. I appeared on her podcast recently and since then she has been achieving great things with LinkedIn so I thought you would all like to hear from her.
Interesting Stuff I Saw This Week
PR With Janet Murray
Janet Murray spent 17 years as a freelance journalist before setting up her Soulful PR business.
She now focuses on helping people to ‘pitch’ into the media to get better exposure for their business.
Key things I took from this episode;
- Traditional PR is not enough anymore
- Four areas of PR you should be paying attention to on a regular basis;
- Publishing content on your website
- Email marketing / newsletter
- Social media posting and activity
- Press coverage (show the results on your website)
- To build relationship with journalists you have to read the papers, show patience and work at getting to know them.
- Be aware of what is going on and when a story breaks that is relevant to your specialism, contact relevant journalists via Twitter or call them. They are always looking for stories so you are potentially being really helpful.
- Make a list of relevant journalists on Twitter and LinkedIn (mainly Twitter) – find them via a Google search/alerts.
- #journorequest on Twitter can be helpful
- Media enquiry services such as ResponseSource, helpareporter out and SourceBottle
- Journalists like to call (for speed) so put your telephone number in your profile (summary not headline) and Twitter bio
- Make sure you have relatively recent Articles and videos in your profile so that a journalist or producer can see that you can write and appear comfortable in front of a camera.
- Clarity in your headline is key….journalists needs to see quickly exactly what your niche is (arguably this is true for everyone, not just journalists)
- Journalists always ask “Why do people need to hear this now?”
- ‘Everything is potentially content’ If others care about it then it will probably fly on LinkedIn.
- People are more interested in ‘how’ you work than what you do but PR about the ‘how’ allows you to talk about the ‘what’
Win a free 60 minute PR strategy session with Janet (worth £300+vat).
You can read more about these sessions here
You can enter this free prize draw by entering your details below
Links to other things mentioned in this interview;
If you have any questions that you want me to ask Janet, I will be happy to do so if you drop me a voicemail (link on the right edge of this page) or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
That’s it for this week, don’t forget to leave a voicemail or email me with any questions or suggestions, till next time.
Have a great week everyone.
PS New Service. I am now providing one to one coaching sessions. Click ‘Schedule a call‘ and arrange a time to speak directly with me.
Thank you so much for listening. I value your support and interest.
Help me to promote the podcast
It can be difficult to get noticed in iTunes and one thing that can really make a difference is reviews. If you enjoy the show please take a minute to write an honest review in iTunes, it would be most appreciated.
If you are not sure how to write an iTunes review I have made a short video demonstrating how this is done.